Monday, February 1, 2010

Gratitude

Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.
Cicero

I'm thankful for having been born and raised in Canada.

I'm thankful for having been born healthy.

I'm thankful for my mother having taken good care of me.

I'm thankful that foolishly staring into the sun did not destroy my eyesight when I was young.

I'm thankful for having been endowed with a strong intellect and special talents.

Gratitude is riches. Complaint is poverty.
Doris Day

I'm thankful for having worked at ATI. I'm thankful for having achieved financial independence at a fairly early age.

I'm thankful for having avoided a painful and destructive marriage. I'm thankful for having been spared the stressful ordeal of raising a family.

I'm thankful for having been to Europe and bringing back a Certina DS 1 Limited Edition watch.

I'm thankful for having the complete 3-season DVD collection of the "Kung Fu" television series.

The hardest arithmetic to master is that which enables us to count our blessings.
Eric Hoffer

I'm thankful for my brother Robert, and my nephew Elmer.

I'm thankful for my best friends Stan, James, and Ron (it's odd considering him a best friend, but we have a kind of unique connection). I'm thankful for having crossed paths with Dr. Sommers (and The Good Sex Network)...he showed me that relaxation is the key to contentment.

I'm thankful for that one glorious evening at Brandywine Falls when, in the peaceful quiet of a beautiful night sky (replete with meteors), I found my connection with God.

I'm thankful for having had an intimate relationship with Mary, rocky though it may have been.

Most human beings have an almost infinite capacity for taking things for granted.
Aldous Huxley

I'm thankful for having survived crossing Dundas St blindly on a brutally cold day, crossing against a Stop sign on my bike, turning left at high speed onto Hwy 7 without checking oncoming traffic, and being struck by a car in Sudbury (bouncing off the hood and walking away).

I'm thankful for not having contracted cancer or any other serious illness...yet. I'm thankful for being in good physical shape, and that I'm not disabled in any way.

What a miserable thing life is: you're living in clover, only the clover isn't good enough.
Bertolt Brecht

I'm (prematurely) thankful for having purchased the West Harbour City waterfront condo. I'm (hopefully) anticipating a great home life down there.

I'm thankful I was mugged in San Francisco so that I could write my "I Left My Wallet...in San Francisco" post and bring back a "Highlander" katana.

Adrian_Paul_as_Duncan_McLeod.jpg

I'm thankful for being able to write this post so that I can stave off my depression.


Oh, and one more thing:

I'm thankful that there is no God who sits in judgment of man and metes out punishment to sinners. Sufferers of the God delusion may believe otherwise but I'm thankful for my mental clarity.

In this world of sin and sorrow there is always something to be thankful for; as for me, I rejoice that I am not a Republican.
H.L. Mencken

No comments:

Post a Comment