Monday, March 29, 2010

My Green Lantern Netbook


I just bought the Toshiba NB305 netbook from Futile Shop for C$390. (Mine is Mocha Brown.)

I've given it the machine name Green-Lantern.

The selection of the NB305 was based primarily on its exceptional industrial design. It looks gorgeous! The trackpad is very nice to use. The high quality keyboard feels luxurious. The 6-cell battery has a good shape that doesn't protrude impractically.

There's also the Toshiba brand, which I've always favoured.

The NB305 has a large 250GB hard drive, a 10.1" screen with 1024x600 resolution, and the new Atom N450 processor. The 6-cell battery provides an impressive battery life of 8.5 hours.

Green-Lantern will serve three purposes:
  1. Mobile Internet Device
  2. Digital camera backup for 40D & S90, via USB or SD card
  3. Media player (mainly movie files)

1 comment:

  1. I know what's "wrong" with the Toshiba NB305 (aka Green-Lantern) keyboard...

    The chiclet-style keys have a little bit of flex so that when you press on the edge of the key, the key may or may not register. What I'm trying to say is that the key rocks a little bit on the plunger stem, so you need to press directly on top of the stem to ensure proper registration.

    When I went to the Apple Store (to check out the MacBook) and Bust Buy (to check out other chiclet-style keyboards), I found that their keys did not rock on the stem -- anywhere you press on the key, the plunger easily goes down.

    How or why did Toshiba manage to make this design mistake? I dunno. But this is the reason I can't touch-type -- I make too many typing errors. I need to slow down to ensure that I hit the keys right on.

    It's not a total waste of $400, but I am disappointed that I can't touch-type.

    ReplyDelete