Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The Nature of Neocons

On my way to the gym Tuesday afternoon, I was thinking...

What do the G20 anarchists and protesters have in common with far right fanatics such as Ezra Levant and David Frum (as well as their American counterparts)? [I know, it's a very odd thing to think about, but then, that's how my genetically-engineered intellect works.]

Then it hit me like a soaking-wet burlap sack full of cow and horse manure: The only way for them to get their "message" across is through outrageous actions and/or diatribes (esp. vitriolic, insulting diatribes). They need to draw attention, any kind of attention. They need to display their outrage, their contempt, their most base self for all the world to see.

They're bullies, and they believe if the world doesn't listen to them, well, they'll foist their agenda into your face, whether you like it or not. The far right fanatics, in particular, have their own unique style: in print or on television/radio, they'll foam at the mouth, or turn red and go shrill while their blood pressure shoots through the roof. In effect, they're throwing a tantrum.

What astonishes me to no end is that well-respected intellectuals like my dear friends James and Norman would actually read their garbage in the National Post or other similar publications. I suppose the reason must be that their constituency lacks any sort of a respectable paragon or role model (such as the late great William F. Buckley Jr.). It's quite sad, really.

I yearn for the old days when political debates had class and decorum, when well-reasoned arguments were as devastatingly powerful as insults and snarky remarks and childish hysterics. But I guess I'll just have to grin and bear it, as frustrating as it may be. These are the times we live in, unfortunately...

1 comment:

  1. I use the term "neocon" *very* loosely to include theocons, fundamentalist conservatives, and those to the far right. I realize that "neocon" actually has a very specific definition, but the area of conservatism is so balkanized, it's difficult to find an exact term to represent what I mean.

    ReplyDelete