Sunday, August 1, 2010

The iPad and QuickTime Divorce

I just came back from the Apple Store, playing with the new iPhone 4 and the iPad. I have a major beef...

The iPad is supposed to be the ultimate multimedia consumption device. Putting aside the fact that the vast majority of videos on the Web are Flash-based, I would, at the very least, expect the iPad/iPhone to play QuickTime -- not just any ol' QuickTime movie, but QuickTime streaming over RTSP, as well. The iPad doesn't.

This is idiotic. QuickTime is Apple's own proprietary video standard. Why is it that I can play all QuickTime movies on a Mac but not on an iPad???

Suppose I were to set up a Mac server to stream QuickTime using Apple's own QuickTime Streaming Server. Then I would lose the vast iPad/iPhone user base. (No supposition is necessary -- I have actually done this.)

Do Apple plan to obsolete QTSS? (And, no, HTTP Live Streaming is not necessarily a suitable replacement/alternative. There are solid, practical reasons to prefer QTSS.)

What should website administrators who rely on QTSS, like myself, do? Shove an iPad up their ass?

So, in effect, the iPad cannot play Flash and it cannot play QuickTime. How is it the ultimate multimedia consumption device again?

1 comment:

  1. I submitted the following to Apple Feedback re: iPad...

    Subject: iPad not compatible with QuickTime RTSP
    Feedback Type: Software/Hardware Compatibility

    I was shocked -- shocked!!! -- to discover that the iPad will not play QuickTime streaming over RTSP. This is idiotic. QuickTime is Apple's own proprietary video standard. Why is it that I can play all QuickTime movies on a Mac but not on an iPad???

    As a potential iPad owner, I would like to access distance learning websites that use your QuickTime Streaming Server software to deliver QuickTime. I'm certain there are many other sources of QuickTime streaming, as well.

    Do you have any future plans to support QuickTime RTSP on the iPad/iPhone? Or should I look elsewhere for a tablet?

    ReplyDelete